So the education programs are now underway at work so I’m getting to see some of the 1820s clothing in action!
Here’s J.R., one of the amazing volunteers for the programs and this year we made him a new shirt and apron – both linen. These were made from instructions and sizing I described in an earlier post. (at least I think I did!)
The apron was entirely handsewn and shirt was handsewn except for some of the interior seams – underarm, sides, and part of the collar, cuffs and neckband. However all the hemming was by hand and every last seam was felled by hand. In total there were probably two people that contributed to the apron getting done and I think 4 people helped on the shirt. I just had the fun part of deciphering the cutting instructions and prepping all the pieces!
I really love how the apron came out, especially how it looks in the back and it does a great job of camouflaging his modern pants. (Proper trousers are on tap for next year!) The lower ties are something we added to keep the apron closer to the body but you can see the upper crossed straps do most of the work. Having him and the other teachers so well outfitted is so nice to see!
A.M. does most of the gown sewing so I don’t have much to share in that arena. But as I build a resource notebook of 1820s clothing, I do keep getting the opportunities to play with women’s accessories like caps, pelerines, and petticoats – and even some necessities, such as stays.
For now I’ll just keep smiling whenever I see J.R. and the others playing the part of 1820s printers, farmers, shopkeepers, and fire fighters! It tough to make one costume tell all those stories but this one has been fitting the bill so far.