This event is brought to you by and for those who love the silliness and extremes of 1830’s costume so beautifully set forth in the BBC miniseries, Wives and Daughters!
On Saturday, October 1, 2016, join us in your walking dresses and bonnets or your topcoat and trousers for a midday Picnic at the Acton Arboretum. This picturesque park features lovely walking trails, landscaped gardens, seating areas, and even a crabapple tree allee for strolling. Weather permitting, we’ll gather at 11am for light refreshments (potluck – please bring something to satisfy your food needs or to share) and outdoor games and recreation. Battledore & shuttlecock, graces, and lawn bowling are planned but additional activities are absolutely welcome. And of course, there are plenty of lovely spots just perfect for posing for photos! There is no cost to attend the picnic but RSVPs to Carrie at cdmidura AT gmail DOT com are appreciated for planning purposes.
Early afternoon, we’ll depart the Arboretum and all parties are invited to retire to Carrie’s home or their particular place of lodging in order to rest, relax, and get ready for the evening event: A Supper Party at Concord’s Colonial Inn, beginning at 6pm. The supper is $55 per person and tickets must be purchased in advance. Three course supper includes a choice of entree: Statler Chicken Breast, Cracker Crusted Boston Cod, or Vegetarian Pasta. We’ll be dining in a beautifully restored historical building, in a room named for Henry David Thoreau who lived and supped here himself in the 1830s!
To purchase supper tickets:
Tickets are $55 per person. This fee includes a 3-course meal, a variety of non-alcoholic beverages, and one favor bag. Alcoholic drinks can be purchased individually at the event.
Payment will be accepted via either PayPal or personal check, denominated in US dollars. PayPal payments should be sent to Carrie at cdmidura AT gmail DOT com. Please use the “send money to friends or family” option, which is free when you use your bank account or PayPal balance. If you choose to use a debit or credit card, PayPal will charge a fee, which you are responsible for paying. We will not accept any PayPal payments that do not cover PayPal’s fees. Alternatively, those wishing to pay by check should email cdmidura AT gmail DOT com for the mailing address
With your payment, please provide the attendees’ full names, entree choice (chicken, fish, or vegetarian) for each guest, and details on any dietary restrictions that the restaurant should know about.
The Finer Details
- Dress Code: late 1820s or 1830s appropriate clothing is requested for all attending the picnic and/or dinner. All social class and formality levels are welcome, even in the land of the puritans. The setting is an historic New England tavern that likely saw an interesting mix of characters throughout the years! (And fwiw… most men’s Regency style clothing will work just fine for this era, too.) For the curious, feel free to check out my Romantic Era Fashions Pinterest Board.
- Area Lodging: For those coming from out of town, I have two air mattress and/or couch spaces remaining at my house.. If anyone is hoping for more luxurious (and cat-free) lodgings – there are rooms still available at the Colonial Inn. Less pricey options are located in Lexington, Bedford, and Billerica. This is suburbia… everything requires a car, but these locations are all either within 15 minutes of Carrie’s place, the Arboretum, or the Colonial Inn.
- Alcoholic Libations: Each guest is responsible for paying for their own alcoholic beverages. You may separately purchase alcoholic drinks through our waitstaff or at the adjacent bar, paying Colonial Inn directly.
- Dietary Requests: If you have any special dietary needs, please let us know when purchasing tickets, as the Colonial Inn may be able to accommodate your requests. The restaurant must be notified at least one week prior to the event.
- Refund Policy: We cannot offer refunds unless the event is completely cancelled. Any individual is welcome to sell or transfer their ticket to another person if an emergency or other need arises, but they must notify Carrie at cdmidura AT gmail DOT com of the transaction so she can record the change.
And now for the pretty stuff…